05 January 2011

Personality Snapshot du Jour

Levi Agee
Meet Levi: The Jack of all (Media) Trades

Levi Agee is one busy guy. When he's not editing commercials for StoneWard, he's writing and photographing for various publications including the Arkansas Democrat Gazette's Screen Gems section. In whatever spare time he has left, he's making festival-worthy films and helping to shape Little Rock's own Film Festival. He's a true lover of media, especially that which is film related. How does he get it all done? All we can figure is that he paid somebody to put wings on his shoes.




Have You Been There: What inspires you the most?
Levi Agee: My wife.

HYBT: Do you have a mentor? Who?
LA: Yes. Philip Martin-Movie Style Editor (Arkansas Democrat-Gazette)

HYBT: Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to?
LA: New York

HYBT: What is your favorite piece of art, be it a film, music, painting, etc.?
LA: That's too tough. I'll just give you my favorite piece of art culture right now: 9-eyes.com. It's this collection of Google Street View images from around the world full of shocking, bizarre, or poignant tableaus. I could see this stuff in a gallery.

HYBT: What effect do you think the place you grew up had on you and your work?
LA: I think there is a rejection of your birthplace when you're young that always shows up in your writing but you grow out of it as you get older and you learn to really embrace it. I hated growing up in a small town called Sardis. It didn't have a McDonalds or a movie theater but now when I go visit my dad it's very cathartic and warm. It's such a rush of memories it's hard to deny the nostalgia.

HYBT: What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
LA: This is a very interesting question. In regards to my affection for film, I watch some movies for the first time with the Audio Commentary or Director's Commentary turned on even before I've seen anything. It's pretty weird but for some films I think it enhances the experience when I watch it the second time. I did this with Citizen Kane and loved it. Roger Ebert does the commentary.

HYBT: What's something you'd like to learn to do?
LA: Balance things on my head like those women who carry vases of water on their heads. I'd carry my laptop and random items. I think it would be a good conversation starter-- "Hey why are you carrying all those pudding cups on your head?"

HYBT: What's something about you that would surprise people?
LA: I have ridiculous leg strength. I haven't tested it on anyone but I know I could beat anyone at leg wrestling. Including an entity that was entirely made of legs. I'm pretty sure I could kick a hole through a refrigerator.

HYBT: Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
LA: I think Kanye West is a good example of this. Like Bjork I get a little frustrated with their personalities/egos but what they do musically is pure artistry. It's been probably two years of contemplating Mr. West but my friend Collin, who's opinion I respect a lot, has been a strong champion of his music. He let me borrow Late Registration right around the VMA controversy was going on. I thought he was a maniac and his tirades haven't stopped so he probably is either really damaged emotionally or it's all a front. Either way he makes damn good music.

HYBT: Who's your favorite television or movie character?
LA: Another tough one. I really want to say Charlie Chaplin because he brings so much joy and romance to the screen. Probably five years ago I would have said that but I side with our new President in saying that Omar Little is one of the most fully-formed, interesting on screen personas to come out of the entertainment medium. What's more of a conundrum than a gay, black, Robin Hood in the hood?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...