06 January 2011

Really, People?



The 2011 awards season (sort of) kicked off  last night with the they're-fun-but-don't-really-count People's Choice Awards. Mallory's about to step up upon a soapbox here. The results were typical and somewhat bland, and I've got to say, I've never been quite so disappointed in, well, the people. Now perhaps in this flailing economy we've all indulged a bit in some feel good, guilty pleasures (I'm talking to you Twilight), but that's no reason to consign good taste to oblivion. Before I go any further let's look at a quick rundown of some of the night's biggest winners...okay, maybe with a little commentary from yours truly.


Favorite Comedy Actor: Adam Sandler - Was he even in a movie last year?


Favorite Talk Show Host: Conan O'Brien - Is he really our favorite, or did we feel sorry for him?


Favorite Country Artist: Taylor Swift - By this point, I've forgotten if there are any other country artists.
Favorite TV Comedy Actor: Neil Patrick Harris – His reaction? Since winning one in ’90 for Doogie Howser, he’s come “full circle.”
Favorite TV Comedy Actress: Jane Lynch – Ok, she’s a funny lady. No complaints here.
Favorite TV Drama Actress: Lisa Edelstein -  She’s the lady in House. In case you were confused, like me.
Favorite TV Drama Actor: Hugh Laurie -  Man, the people love their House M.D.
Favorite TV Drama: House M.D. -  See above.
Favorite Movie Actor: Johnny Depp – I’m torn between my love for the man and the notion that the whole “I’m a brooding eccentric” thing he’s got going on might get him a teensy bit more credit than he deserves.
Best Move Star Under 25: Zac Effron – Did only ‘tween people get to vote in this category?
Best Reality Show: Keeping Up with the Kardashians -  This might be another of the guilty pleasures I referred to earlier.
Favorite Male Musician: Eminem
Favorite Female Musician: Katy Perry -  False. The correct answer is Lady Gaga.
Favorite Movie Actress: Kristen Stewert – Whoa, whoa, whoa. Is this a joke? I can think of at least 273 actresses who should come before Ms. Bites-her-lip.
Favorite Movie of the Year: The Twilight Saga:Eclipse – I just wanted to leave this out of the post, but it’s sort of the most important category. Way to ruin the most important category, people.
Here’s the thing: when we vote for mediocrity as our “favorite” we’re telling Hollywood to go ahead and be mediocre. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like my entertainment mediocre. I like it fantastic. I propose that in 2011 we people band together and force our entertainers to do a little work for those million dollar paychecks. Is that so much to ask?


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. "Hey, I'll get a bunch of Celebs in a room and sell tons of ad space. And if the Celebs don't show up for the award, everyone will think they are ungrateful. It's a business! -Jim Carrey on Mtv Movie awards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said, except maybe the little slight you made about my boy Johnny. As far as I am concerned he can do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...