22 February 2011

Personality Snapshot du Jour

Meet Lauren: The Designer

Lauren Kemp has got (nearly) every girl's dream job. She gets to spend her days working with fabrics, textures, buttons, trims and zippers. Yep, she a clothes girl and she's got not one but TWO fashion lines. Not only does she find and repurpose fabulous vintage clothes and accessories for her line Magpie & Birdie, but also designs original garments for her other line, Lauren Kemp. And you better believe this gal's got the know-how to back it up. She got her degree in fashion from the University of Arkansas in '06, interned in Europe (Edinburgh, to be exact!), and has been repurposing, designing and selling clothes ever since. Lauren's heavily influenced by films (which we, being the pop culture blog that we are, think is fantastic inspiration) and has worked her way through about 60% of the Criterion Collection -  no easy feat considering it consists of more than 500 films. Her interests include typical things like traveling and writing... and super cool things like vegan cooking and 1960s pop music. We're telling you, this girl's definitely one you'll want to watch out for. If you're in the Little Rock area, check out her clothes at Box Turtle, and if you're not, click here to find her stuff on online!

Have You Been There:What inspires you the most?
Lauren Kemp: Films probably inspire me more than anything.  I have found that they are usually more truthful than real life.  They contain these perfectly captured images and these perfectly appropriate scores.  Everything is so deliberate and precise, yet it feels so spontaneous and natural.  Sometimes the mood of a film will inspire me as much or more than the clothes in a film. 

HYBT: Do you have a mentor? Who?
LK:  My friends motivate me to be creative, so I would consider them my mentors.  Whether they are musicians or film-makers or good cooks, they influence me to continue my creative endeavors.  I also try to collaborate with them as much as possible.  At the 2010 Harvest Fest fashion show, I commissioned three of my friends to collaborate on my collection and the respective runway show.  Kimberly Cyr made the headpieces. Jenn Eakin made the knitwear pieces and hand-painted one of the dresses. Phillip Huddleston of Garland Recital composed the original music for the runway show.  I’m always trying to think of new projects I can collaborate on with my friends.

HYBT:Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to?
LK: India was definitely the most curious place I’ve ever been.  There was a dichotomy between rich and poor that was quite disheartening, but at the same time, I witnessed some of the most spectacular things I could ever hope to see.  I saw the Taj Mahal, I smoked a hookah in New Delhi, I stayed in a hunting lodge on top of a mountain, and I played polo while riding an elephant.  I hope to go back at some point in my life.

HYBT:What is your favorite piece of art, be it a film, music, painting, etc.?
LK: The film “In the Mood for Love” would probably be one of my favorite pieces of art.  It’s a film by Wong Kar-Wai, one of my favorite directors.  The music and the images are perfectly matched.  The cinematography, the costumes, the story, everything about it is just about perfect.  It also happens to have one of the best endings in movie history.  It breaks my heart every time.

HYBT:What effect do you think the place you grew up had on you and your work?
LK: Mountain View (AR) is famous for handmade crafts, so I attempt impeccable craftsmanship in my clothing.  My mom and grandma would take me to the local antique shops just about every weekend, so that vintage aesthetic has always stuck with me.  Growing up in a small town also helped me to appreciate the importance of supporting local farmers and artisans.

HYBT:What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
LK: I see potential in almost everything.  This philosophy started with my love for repurposed clothing, but it has morphed into my new-found love for crafts and just about everything else.  Raw materials are everywhere.  Almost anything can be salvaged.  Luckily, my business allows me an outlet.  Otherwise, I might be considered a hoarder.

HYBT: What's something you'd like to learn to do?
LK: I’ve never ridden a bike.  I just never got around to it.  I feel ridiculous that I don’t know how.  I’m encouraged that Katharine Hepburn learned to ride at age eighty.  Hopefully, I will figure it out by then.

HYBT:What's something about you that would surprise people?
LK: The bike thing would probably surprise most people.  Also, I haven’t crossed my legs since 2002.  I was doing a play in high school and my director gave me a good reason that ladies shouldn’t cross their legs, so I stopped cold turkey.  The reason had to do with circulation.  Now I just don’t cross them out of habit.

HYBT: Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
LK: One of my favorite quotes is from the filmmaker Michel Gondry, who said “every great idea is on the verge of being stupid.”  You could also say that every great idea is on the verge of being insane.  When I’m completely content with life, I usually find it harder to create.  When I’m sad, it’s easier for me to write.  When I’m feeling competitive, it’s easier for me to sew.  The emotions fade and you will feel better, but the art will remain and occasionally it’s something that you are really proud of.  It’s a win-win. 

HYBT:Who's your favorite television or movie character?
LK: There’s something about Billy Crudup’s performance in “Jesus’s Son” that just does it for me.  He’s hilarious in this innocent, unintentional way that I’ve rarely ever seen in a film.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...