10 February 2011

She's A Lady

January Jones in Harper's Bazaar UK
Don't tell anyone, but I have a crush on a little lady named January Jones. No, not that kind of crush. My crush is of the "girl" variety, as in "I have a girl crush on January Jones." What's a girl crush, you ask? Urban dictionary eloquently defines it as:

"When a girl has a crush on another girl,
but they don't wanna date them.
It's more like they wanna be their best friend."              

This is coming from Mallory, by the way, though I suspect you've already concluded that. However I imagine Justin may share my sentiments...

Yeah, I think he does.
If you haven't seen her as Betty Draper on Mad Men you're really missing out. It's not that she plays a particularly likable character (then again, no one on that show does), it's that she's able to encompass the role of 60s-housewife-with-an-edge. And oh how well she does it.

The "edge" I was referring to.
There's another thing she does well and that thing is CLOTHES. She has been known to go a little rogue from time to time (like that wallpaper dress she wore to the SAG awards...), but for the most part she is one well dressed lady.


Probably the best thing about her is that January is her honest-to-goodness parental-given moniker. It would be easy to assume that it was just some gimmick in order to gain attention, seeing as how we all know actresses love it but pretend not to. Not the case here. She got it from her mama. The great part is that she wasn't named after her birth month (despite January actually being her birth month.) Because that would not be great, that would be lame. No, she was named after January Wayne, a character in one of the early 70s' biggest selling novels, Once is Not Enough. Not a bad idea, though I gotta say I'm glad my parents didn't go the famous book character route and name me Frodo or something...

January's been linked to a somewhat random array of celebrities over the years such as...


Ashton Kutcher, who told her that she'd never amount to anything...


Josh Groban, whom she dated for three years and "still remains friends"...


and Jason Sudeikis, with whom she broke up after he said some not so classy things about her.

She may not have had the best luck in love thus far, but she has had plenty of luck in her career. While holding down the role as woman-who-refuses-to-take-Don-Draper's-crap on Mad Men, she still had time to star with Liam Neeson and Diane Kruger in the upcoming Unknown and film her role as Emma Frost in another addition to the comic book inspired movies universe, X-Men: First Class. So if you haven't jumped on the Mad Men bandwagon, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get your fix of January Jones in the future. (yay!)




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That picture of her with Ashton is hideous. However, I've been in awe of January Jones since I started watching Mad Men a couple of years ago. I got behind on Mad Men, but I always look for her at awards shows because she will either be flawless or look absolutely crazy. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know someone else feels the same way, Ashley! I'm really excited to see her do more things. I know she's great on Mad Men but am curious to see how she does in other types of roles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...