05 March 2011

I Want to Believe...

That I can finish watching the X-Files television show before it leaves Netflix on April 1st.  Justin here.  Last fall I began watching the X-Files on the service, at first it was sporadic, and then I realized I was hooked.


Now, I know this is a pop culture blog and this television show has been off the air for 9 years, making it kind of less relevant than say CSI Idaho.  Anyway... The show started in 1992, right after the end of the Cold War, giving the nation a fascination with alien autopsies, government conspiracies and teens using black magic.  One episode took place in a chicken plant in a fictional Arkansas town even.  The show lasted for 9 seasons, and then after 9/11 America had a new, more tangible enemy and people lost interest.  But for those 9 years some of the most original fantastical story telling was one of Fox's biggest hits, and it spawned an entertaining summer blockbuster in 98.

I only liked the movie and never saw more than 5 episodes, but when Netflix got the show I began watching (after a summer of 12 Seasons of Buffy and Angel).  And when Mulder and Scully had their first real kiss I was excited, because it took SEVEN seasons.  Now I have 4 weeks to finish a show while it's still convenient.  Some people suggest it'll come back, and I do wonder if this show is popular enough with first time viewers to warrant a 3rd film.  At least during the first half of the show the two main characters have some of the best chemistry of any on screen couple I've seen.  I've heard that the final two seasons get a little crappy, and that Mulder is barely in the show, and that the second film which came out in 08 didn't live up to the series.  Well see what happens when I get there (hopefully before it goes away). Anyway I guess the whole point of this post is that you should double check the shows in your queue and make sure it's not leaving anytime soon.

David Duchovney just last month said that he and Gillian Anderson as well as show creator Chris Carter are all interested in doing a 3rd movie.  Not that Fox reads this blog, but if they do, I'd go see it, and that's all thanks to Netflix.  We shall see.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...