09 March 2011

She's A Lady

photo via The Washington Post
Mallory here, and I've got to share another crush of the "girl" variety. How much do you ladies out there want to be Carey Muligan's best friend? If you're anything like me, the answer is "A LOT." Ever since this 25 year old British bird knocked my metaphorical socks off with her Oscar-nominated performance in An Education, I've been on the edge of my seat to see what else she can pull out. I squealed with pleasantly surprised delight when a friend started 2010's little-known film, Never Let Me Go, and the opening scene featured a captivating image of Ms. Mulligan looking in on a stark, eerie O.R.

Carey Mulligan as Kathy in Never Let Me Go
The British film (read: a foreign film that doesn't require subtitles!) also stars the seasoned Keira Knightley and rookie-cum-Spiderman incarnate, Andrew Garfield. It somehow managed to sneak past the spotlight last year due to poor marketing, which really is a shame. It's haunting and emotional and definitely worth the dollar you'll spend at the Red Box. 

photo borrowed from here

I was way surprised to learn that An Education was NOT the first place I met Carey. She first dazzled us with all her sparkling cuteness in 2005's Pride and Prejudice as one of the younger Bennet sisters. She's absolutely come into her own since then, blossoming into a actress who can totally hold her own. Which she proved after filming on An Education wrapped and she had her "oh yeah, I'm totally adorable with a pixie cut, too" moment à la Halle Berry. That's a gutsy move ( for any lady (no matter how beautiful a face you have), made all the more gutsier considering she debuted this look at the Oscars when fashion police are out in full force. Well played, Carey.

from pinterest
I've also got to throw in there that anyone who can make Shia LaBouf look cool (sorry!) has got to be one super chic femme. Yeah, yeah I know they're not together anymore, but would you look at that photo? Divine.

photo borrowed from here
Ok now it's your turn. Do you share my girl crush on Carey Mulligan, or are you crushing on someone else? Leave comments! I'd love to know what you're thinking!

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. HUGE Crush on Ms. Mulligan! I concur Mallory, I concur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to know you share my sentiments, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She'll always be Sally Sparrow to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! We don't get BBC, Anonymous (?), but it sounds like we're missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She outgrew Dr. Who pretty quickly, but her ep was one of the best.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...