16 March 2011

"Taking Off The Pounds" Cake


I mentioned in this post that I've never really been one to pass up dessert. However, that doesn't mean I'm not one to try and watch the calories. After a somewhat long and definitely zoo-filled weekend I found myself jonesin' not only to eat something sweet, but to bake something. I opened up the pantry to see what I had to work with. Not much. I called up my go-to reference for baking healthy(ish) desserts and found that this cream cheese pound cake recipe was basically screaming my name. I decided to jazz it up a little using some frozen blueberries I had to make a glaze and sub out a few ingredients to decrease the calories even more.

Pound cake originally got it's name from the ingredients that typically go into it. One lb. of eggs, one lb. of sugar, one lb. of butter etc. which explains why it's so absolutely rich and tasty. This recipe incorporates whole wheat flour and egg whites to make it a bit lighter while the (reduced fat) cream cheese keeps it rich. That's what makes this losing pounds cake!








Pin It

3 comments:

  1. The pictures are awesome; kind of reminds me of Pioneer Woman. But what about the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! I did kind of hide the recipe link inside the post! Here it is:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cream_cheese_pound_cake.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...