08 April 2011

Personality Snapshot du Jour






Emily Peresta
Meet Emily: The Casting Assistant

"You are the weakest link! Goodbye!"

Ok, that's probably NOT how Emily Peresta breaks the news to someone that they haven't been cast in a role. However the cool thing is that if she wanted to-- she totally could. That's because she's one of the people who helps pick out who gets to play the film and television characters we've all grown to know and love. This Arkansan-turned-Texan has been working in casting for the past few years. Among the big name companies she's assisted casting for are Disney, American Gladiators, Supernanny, The Glee Project,  and Lonestar... just to name a few. She's essentially a starmaker who got her start working for a production company called Action Figure. From there, she worked as a talent agent for nearly two years before moving into the field of casting where she is currently assisting Beth Sepko on the pilot for the remake of Dallas. Actors, listen up! This is one lady you want to know! She just may hold your future in her hands.


Have You Been There: What inspires you the most?
Emily Peresta: I'm inspired by genuinely good, honest people - any and all backgrounds of life.  They are so rare these days.  When I meet someone that like, it's like a hidden treasure that I have to hold on to.

HYBT: Do you have a mentor? Who? 
EP: My mentor is more of a mixture of people, all strong women in my life.  From my mother, who taught me everything about how to be a good human being, to Susan the executive producer at my first production job, who effortlessly pulls off being a mother, successful business woman, environmentalist, and friend.

HYBT: Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to?
EP: Kauai.  The scenery is absolutely unreal.  Amazing.  I couldn't stop thinking about Jurassic Park the entire time I was there.  I dare anyone to travel to the Hawaiian islands and tell me it was easy to come back home to the mainland.

HYBT: What is your favorite piece of art, be it a film, music, painting, etc.?
EP: The film American Beauty really inspired me as a writer.  (I remember watching it for the first time with my parents.  They made us turn it off after the fantasy sequence in the gym.  I couldn't wait to rent it again later to watch the rest of the film.)  It's one of my favorites because it has this great blend of dark humor and drama, all within the seemingly dull backdrop of suburbia.  All the actors' performances are insanely good. Excellent casting.

HYBT: What effect do you think the place you grew up had on you and your work?
EP: I moved around a lot when I was younger but for the most part, grew up in a small town in Arkansas.  I think that those of us from small towns are lucky in a way.  It might sound weird, but when there was not much to do for entertainment, I turned to exploring outside, writing stories, and people watching.  My eye for observing others has directly impacted my work, both when I worked as a talent agent and now as a casting assistant. 

HYBT: What’s something you know you do differently than most people? 
EP: I let people into my lane if they need to merge over.  But seriously, I probably do a lot of things differently than most people.  I'm a big researcher.  If a doctor prescribes me medication, I always research very thoroughly before I'll take it.  My boyfriend and I have been wanting to adopt a dog for over a year.  I've been researching online daily for the last year about everything dog related.  I've even seen every episode of the Dog Whisperer.  Seriously.

HYBT: What's something you'd like to learn to do?
EP: I want to learn to speak Spanish.  I took Russian in college because some of my family is Russian.  It was fun...but I regret it now.  Living in Texas, there are so many little sections that are Spanish speaking only, and I'd love to be able to explore and communicate with the people there.

HYBT: What's something about you that would surprise people? 
EP: People are always surprised that no, even though I'm 6'2'', I do not play basketball.

HYBT: Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
EP: Graffiti.  I used to think it was defacing public property, ugly, and pointless.  One day I was driving and saw something spray painted on an overpass that was so detailed and beautiful and somehow thought provoking.  It clicked.  I got it.  Might be illegal...but it's an art form and a creative outlet for some.  I've never looked at graffiti the same way.

HYBT: Who's your favorite television or movie character?
EP: There are so many.  I'm really liking Margaret Schroeder from Boardwalk Empire right now. I won't write any spoilers, but I love how her character really evolves and has a huge arc in the first season.  It's exciting when a character is a little unpredictable.   It leaves the viewers anticipating the next season and where the writers will go with her character.  That's why television is such a unique format!




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Emily is, without question, the most brilliant tall, red-headed Russian I've ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm missing out by never having met her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyyyyyy, it's Emily P.! Seeing her makes me miss UCA theatre a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...