26 May 2011

Personality Snapshot du Jour - #LRFF2011

K. Lorrel Manning Picture by Jayme Thornton  
K. Lorrel Manning is the writer/director of the critically-acclaimed, feature film Happy New Year, which stars Michael Cuomo and was executive produced by Iain Smith (Wanted, Children of Men, The Fountain). The film received its world premiere at the 2011 South by Southwest Film Festival (Narrative Competition). Happy New Year tells the story of “Sgt. Cole Lewis” who, mentally and physically scarred by his time served in Iraq and Afghanistan, finds humanity, compassion and friendship in a group of similarly injured veterans in the psychiatric ward at a remote Veterans Hospital. Through humor and pathos, Lewis becomes a ray of hope in the ward, as the men find a way to combat their post-war grief. However, just as their luck starts to change, Lewis soon faces his fiercest battle yet. Happy New Year is based on Manning's play and award-winning short film of the same nameHappy New Year anticipates a limited theatrical release on 11.11.11 (Veterans Day) in select cities across the United States.  It is in competition for the Golden Rock at this year's Little Rock Film Festival. Manning's additional works include A&J Rule the Universe (Off-Broadway, 2006) and Wool (New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) fellowship. His other plays have been developed at theatres throughout New York City, including the Roundabout, Rattlestick and the Barrow Group. He holds an MFA in Film from Columbia University. He is also the lead singer of the politically-charged rock band La Res (www.vivelares.com). He currently resides in New York City.

Have You Been There:  What inspires you the most?
Lorrel Manning:  I'm really inspired by artists in any field who take risks and follow their hearts, regardless of what's popular at the moment. Sadly, there isn't much art being made from the heart these days. Or maybe I just need to look a little harder for it.
 
HYBT: Do you have a mentor? Who?
LM:
  I’ve had a few really great teachers and advisors over the years, but I would say the person who’s had the most influence on me has been my mother. To me, she’s been the strongest person I’ve ever known. I’ve never seen someone show so much strength against adversity.  Making HAPPY NEW YEAR has been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life. Convincing people to fund a film about Iraq vets during a recession was no easy feat. My mother’s strength, which she passed down to me, definitely came in handy.

HYBT: Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to?
LM: Honestly, I haven’t been to many exotic places, but I would say San Francisco holds a dear place in my heart. Whenever I go, the minute I step off the plane I’m overwhelmed with excitement. For some reason, that place just agrees with me.

HYBT: What is your favorite piece of art, be it a film, music, painting, etc.?
LM:
  I would have to say Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks” painting. I love everything he’s ever done, but every time I look at this piece, my imagination runs wild about the possibilities of what’s going on “in the cafe”. What is the couple to the side talking about? Why is the guy in the hat sitting alone? Is he lamenting a breakup? Is he about to rob the place? The possibilities are endless. Discovering this piece at a young age had a serious effect on me. It was the first time I realized how powerfully complex a work of art can be.

HYBT: What effect do you think the place you grew up had on you and your work? 
LM:  I was born in New York, but I grew up in the South. I'd often spend my summers in NYC, and, honestly, New York felt more like home than South Carolina did. The South is full of beautiful, fascinatingly complex people, but I was never inspired to write about them. Halfway through my 2nd year at Columbia Film School I suddenly grew tired of writing about East Village hipsters and decided to set a story in my hometown. I soon discovered that I had a goldmine of characters and experiences to draw from. It was overwhelming. That was when I truly discovered my voice.

HYBT: What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
LM: I have this weird ability to remember incredibly minor details of conversations that I have with people. I'm an intense listener. When people are talking to me I usually have a visual narrative going in my head at the same time - like a movie. I then file "the movie" away. It freaks people out when I can later recall minor details about their own lives that they may have forgotten they told me. I'm just replaying the movie.

HYBT: What's something you'd like to learn to do?
LM:  I would really love to learn how to paint. I actually fell into theatre and film by accident. During my sophomore year in high school, I needed one more elective to round out my schedule. I talked my way into an Intermediate art class that was available at the time I needed. After the first week, the instructor pulled me aside and kindly told me that I didn’t have the basic skills needed to survive the class and that I should leave. I was devastated. She then told me that there was a desperate need for males in the drama department. So, I walked down the hall and knocked on the door. I was accepted immediately. Ha!

HYBT: What's something about you that would surprise people?
LM: Oh, man, where do I start? Most writers that I meet are shocked when I tell them how obsessed I get with the backstories of my characters. I often start with the parents of each significant character meeting for the first time, writing up to the moment the character makes his/her first appearance in the story. I then toss out the back story – usually about 15-20 pages. By that time, the character is totally in my blood, and I no longer need the history to guide me. I did that for the majority of characters in HAPPY NEW YEAR. It sounds completely nuts and unnecessary, but it works for me, and it really gets the creative juices flowing.

HYBT: Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
LM:  Yes! Writing the HAPPY NEW YEAR script was pure hell at times. I and lead actor/producer Michael Cuomo interviewed over 80 veterans from various wars for this film. A number of these people were opening up for the very first time about their combat experiences and how difficult their lives were in the aftermath. Many of the stories and images were truly horrifying, leading to many sleepless nights. There were many times where I felt I was losing my mind as I struggled to stay focused on the script and not crawl into a corner and cry. Sometimes I did.

HYBT: Who's your favorite television or movie character?
LM:  There are many, but I would say the character of "Larry ’Lonesome’ Rhodes” (played magnificently by Andy Griffith) in Elia Kazan’s A FACE IN THE CROWD. “Lonesome Rhodes” is a ne'er-do-well who becomes a powerful television personality, reaching Oprah Winfrey-like status overnight but soon plummets back to obscurity when he lets the power go to his head. This movie is a great lesson in the power of humility and a warning to not abuse the gifts you've been given.  Griffith gives one of the greatest (yet overlooked) performances in the history of cinema. See it!
Happy New Year plays the LRFF on June 2nd at 6pm and June 4th at 3:20pm, Riverdale Cinemas.  More info at www.happynewyearfilm.com


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...