10 May 2011

Personality Snapshot du Jour

Meet Sean:  The DJ 

Sean Brietzke, better known as Sean "Wonderbread" Biggs, started DJing drum and bass and jungle music in 2003. While spending weeks in a local underground bar, his friends encouraged him to expand his interest by borrowing one Technique 1200 and a mixer to add to his parent's 1980's Sony turntable.  In 2004 along with some other DJ’s Sean formed Believe Productions and began to throw parties for an ever growing crowd.  Sean was able to increase a fan base and resurrect interest in jungle/drum and bass by teaming up with the turntabilist Tristan Wingfield in 2008 and forming the drum and bass group [e/ffekt]. Incorporating true scratching and a hyped stage presence, [e/ffekt] was able to start a loyal following.  He’s performed with the likes of Dieselboy, AK1200, Dara, Icey, Huda Hudia, Elite Force and even "Jersey Shore's" Angelina. Now located in northern California, Sean  hopes to continue his 8 year-long career as an individual who encourages booty-shaking and good times for years to come not only in California, but worldwide.

Have You Been There: What inspires you the most?
Sean Brietzke:  Music. Since my sister bought me my first CD, Aerosmith's "Get a
Grip," I've been subject to the unavoidable world of music. Now that
technology has advanced to the point where one can spontaneously
download almost any song they fancy directly to their phone at any
given time I am able to continually explore new music and familiarize
myself with up-and-coming unknown artists. Donald Glover, aka
"Childish Gambino," has been one of my most recent favorites in the
past six months. I suggest anyone who enjoys intelligent indie-rap
should check him out.


HYBT:  Do you have a mentor? Who?
SB:  I can't claim to have anyone as impressive as Obi-Wan Kenobi in my
life, but my friends and family have always been a significant source
of guidance and advice. An individual who stood out more than most is
my friend Omar. He has been all over the world and has continued to
stay active in my life through many years. It helps that he married
another close friend of mine, but I will always credit him to giving
me a real start in the world of DJing. He turned to me one day when I
was trying to learn how to beat match on vinyl turntables and said
very plainly "that's what you do now."


HYBT:   Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to?
SB:  The California coast. I was fortunate enough to visit the area between
San Francisco and Los Angeles when I was younger and fell in love with
almost everything north of LA. I was fortunate to meet a great woman
who married me and brought me out to that area to live recently.
Having grown up in a smaller city such as Little Rock I felt limited
to a certain degree and now I live an hour away from so many beautiful
places that I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it.


HYBT:  What is your favorite piece of art, be it a film, music, painting, etc.?
SB:  "The Old Guitarist" by Pablo Picasso. It was a painting of a man
curled up with a guitar painted during Picasso's blue period and
always "struck a chord" with me.


HYBT:  What effect do you think the place you grew up had on you and your work?
SB:  Little Rock is a town trying very hard to become a city. It has a lot
of the advantages of a city but also has the small-town feel where
everyone seems to know you. Working in an area such as that is a very
nurturing environment where a lot of your efforts and ideas can be
developed with the help of others. It also instills a sense of hard
work in you, because you feel like you work with a family most of the
time and not just some corporate conglomerate. I know whenever I visit
Little Rock in the future I'll be met with smiles and it will be like
I never left.


HYBT:   What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
SB:  Odd question, because a lot of the time you think that what you do is
fairly normal until someone brings it to your attention that you're
doing certain things completely different than the rest of the world.
I'd say it may be my sense of "hope," my desire to constantly want
change, and my friendly disposition towards life.  That may sound
extremely corny, and I agree, but I've met a lot of people over the
years who seem to get into ruts and just accept their place without
ever remembering what it was like to dream of better days. I have
always felt that given the person that I am that I would find my path
and know that it would be great. Recently my life has changed
dramatically by meeting my now wife and moving 2,000 to live outside
of my home state for the first time. I know I'm in a much better place
and can't wait to see what life brings.


HYBT:  What's something you'd like to learn to do?
SB:  Play the piano! I blame my chubby fingers for never getting any good
at guitar, and I think they'd be the perfect fit for a set of piano
keys. Much of the music I enjoy has classical undertones, and piano is
a huge part of that.


HYBT:   What's something about you that would surprise people?
SB:  I am so big of a nerd that CNN once called me to talk to me about my
Star Wars collection, and a website of mine was featured on "E!
Entertainment Online" back in 2001 as part of an A-Z Star Wars Web
featurette. They even used one of my graphics on their title page. I
passed on the CNN interview because I felt I was completely amateur
when it came to collecting.


HYBT:   Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
SB:  That is a very unique and confusing question. I would say that the
world of film is best reserved for situations such as that. Seeing a
movie that you may disregard as completely insane at first may turn
out to be truly awe-inspiring. Watching "Enter the Void" was a lot
like that. It was a bit difficult to deal with all the insane imagery,
but once I started to understand what was going on I thought it was
brilliant.


HYBT:  Who's your favorite television or movie character?
SB:  My answer will cover many bases: Wolverine. The first comic books I
bought when I was 8 years old were "Silver Surfer" and "Wolverine." I
quickly ditched "Silver Surfer" and became a die-hard fan of the man
known as Weapon-X. Throughout television and movies his character
seems somewhat timeless and will always be a favorite of mine. I
recently found a green Wolverine bandana of him in his yellow and
black suit and cherish it as a momentous find from my childhood.


You can listen to some of Sean's music here.  You can find Sean on Facebook here.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...