14 June 2011

The Girl's Got Soul

Photo borrowed from here
Let me start by saying that I don't take kindly to new music. I'm unquestionably that girl who doesn't like songs she doesn't already know. It's shameful, I know. However, I may be singing a different tune (ugh. that was awful, yes?) now that I've had the pleasure of encountering Emily Wells. Thank you, Little Rock Film Festival,  for jolting me out of such a bad way by bringing her all the way from New York to perform for closed-minded people like me. All of this is to say that if I'm adamant that you hear an indie artist, you should probably absolutely take my word for it.


This one-woman band has mastered the violin, keyboard, drums, guitar, ukulele and cello among other instruments (not to mention her amazing vocals). And she likes to play them all at the same time. Interested yet? Watching her perform is like getting a front row seat in a recording session. She records loops live and constantly layers in different instruments, vocals and beats until she's created full song on her own right before your eyes.

From the moment we caught her getting settled and warming up we were enchanted- to say the least. She manages to make hip-hop come out of her violin in a fascinating way. And no words I could string together could possibly do justice to her uniquely appealing voice. She is a sight to be seen. An experience you should witness for yourself to fully appreciate. So, that said, I strongly urge you to click here and listen to/watch her perform "Symphony 1: In the Barrel of a Gun." You'll thank me. Promise.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...