29 March 2012

DIY Custom Scented Candles


A few months ago Justin and I went searching for a scented oil for his {HIDEOUS} oil burner lamp. I ended up loving the scent he picked out, and found myself wishing we had candles all over the house that produced the same scent. After seeing the DIY Queen's tutorial yesterday, I was inspired to take charge and make some myself.

However I was disappointed when I arrived at the craft store and my attempts to find a set of glass tumblers that I liked were futile. So I took my DIY one step further and decorated my own. Here's what you'll need:
  • wax flakes or crystals
  • essential oil in whatever scent you like
  • waxed wicks
  • glass tumbler
  • glass or swarovski crystals
  • jewelry glue
  • toothpicks
  • painters' tape

Begin by taping a straight line all the way around your tumbler to ensure that you glue your crystals on straight. Using  the toothpick, dab glue onto the tumbler and immediately stick your crystals on in whatever pattern you choose.

While your glue is drying, use the double boiler method to melt the wax and essential oil together. If you have a bowl with a spout or a large glass measuring cup it will make the process of pouring much easier later.

Dip the bottom of your wicks into the melted wax and stick them to the bottom of your tumblers, letting the wax dry. If you use waxed wicks, like I did, they will stand up straight on their own. Pour in the melted wax, let them dry overnight and voila!





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...