19 April 2012

Light Fixture Makeover


The light fixture that hung over our dining room table was a complete eyesore. It had probably been hanging there since the early 90s and was even broken in places. It completely clashed with the eclectic Hollywood regency look I'm striving for in our home. It was just bad.

But when your house was built in 1930, there are probably a lot of things about it that are bad {as well as lots of things that are charming!}. We've already done a lot of updates to our home and by the time it came to smaller things like switching out light fixtures, it just wasn't really in the budget. So rather than dropping $400 {or more} for a light fixture, or staring at a hideous one, we set about creating one ourselves.

We started out with a second hand brass light fixture from Habitat for Humanity reStore, a couple of cans of spray paint, some acrylic gemstones and jewelry wire. The rest is pretty self explanatory!



I didn't worry about choosing the "crystals" in one color because I knew I'd paint them so that their finish would match the rest of the lamp. I just chose shapes and sizes that I liked. Once they were painted and dry, I strung them onto the jewelry line in a pattern I liked.

Afterwards I tied the onto the light to add a bit of embellishment.


Justin is normally our resident electrician, but after I spray painted the wires, he couldn't tell which were which and juuuuust to be on the safe side we had an electrician come switch out the new for the old. Luckily when we flipped the switch our house did not burn down. Thankfully.



Pin It

5 comments:

  1. that chandelier looks amazing! I'm so impressed with your DIY : )

    xo SideSmile,
    Ashley

    sidesmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing.. totally bookmarking for my future home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks great, such a big difference.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job, so chic!

    Sarah & Kristina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...