17 July 2012

Baked Sweet Potato Chips

If there's one thing the Nickels family embraces, it's a healthy snack disguised as a... not-so-healthy one. And when it's "burger" (or some variation thereof (veggie, typically)) night at our house, we need something equally satisfying to go with it. Last night it was homemade, baked sweet potato chips. Here's how I made them!


First of all, I highly, highly recommend using a mandolin to slice your potato. Unless you're an Iron Chef (in which case, what are you doing reading my recipe posts? don't you already know how to make these?), it would be extremely difficult to slice it thin and evenly enough to get a good texture.

Preheat your oven to 400. If you're baking them for two, one sweet potato should be plenty. Slice your sweet potato, pulling out any slices that come out smaller than average (they'll burn too quickly).


Toss your "chips" with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.


Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay out your chips in a single layer. I know this is a little tedious, but believe me, it's worth it to lay each one out  individually so they cook evenly.

Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven for about 15 minutes. Take them out, flip your chips over and put them back in for 10-15 more minutes depending on your oven. Keep a good eye on them. My oven's new so I'm still learning where its hot spots are. A few of mine came out burned.


As soon as you take them out of the oven salt (and pepper if you want, I did) them and let them cool for a few minutes.

If you make them, let me know how they turn out! Enjoy!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...